Vineyard Walk-In Clinic
Position Title: Walk-In Clinic Volunteer
Position Summary: During the walk-in hours, refugee clients come to receive assistance filling out paperwork, reading mail, making phone calls and handling other day-to-day tasks. Because our clients are still improving their English comprehension skills, having an English speaker to review documents and assist with phone calls is incredibly helpful. Translators from EMBARC are also present at the walk-in “clinic” to bridge any gaps in communication.
- Fill out forms such as Medicaid, Green Card, and Food Assistance.
- Make phone calls to different companies to ask questions and gain information for clients.
- Review mail and assess if action needs to be taken.
- Professional, respectful, and positive attitude.
- Ability to work in a noisy environment.
- Ability to work with an interpreter.
- Previous experience with refugees preferred but not required.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Must understand and sign a confidentiality contract.
- Cultural presentation detailing the history and attributes of refugees from Burma to gain a larger understanding of the community being served.
- Resource binders are available on site that have information on issues that may arise.
- Volunteers are able to shadow the first day.
- A member of the EMBARC Team will always be around to provide support and answer any questions.
- Regular check-ins from the Volunteer Coordinator
Start Date: To be determined
Location: Des Moines
Schedule: Rotating Mondays from 1-3 pm. Must communicate with program manager about availability.
Reports to: Abi Schniepp and Leslie Chareunsab
To apply: Fill out our application located at embarciowa.org/application or contact our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com