Iowa’s Double Up Food Bucks program provides Iowa residents who receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits (SNAP, formerly food stamps) with a dollar for dollar match to purchase fresh, locally grown fruits and vegetables. Double Up is available at participating farmers markets across the state, and volunteers are essential in spreading the word about the program.
The Double Up Community Outreach Volunteer will provide local community outreach and participate in community events and meetings, expanding the reach of the program.
- Attend local farmers market to share information about Double Up Food Bucks and Healthiest State Initiative
- Conduct interactive activities at events as applicable
- Serve as a source of information about and referrals to local area social services and community partners
The Double Up Volunteer should
- Demonstrate exemplary people skills
- Be comfortable collaborating and coordinating with a variety of personality and organization types
- Be an outgoing self-starter
- Be comfortable speaking to a variety of types of audiences
- Preferably have some understanding of nutrition incentives and the Supplemental Assistance Program (SNAP or EBT Card)